As you begin chapter one....a reflection: "Be honest with yourself...Where do you fall in your belief about whether intelligence can be attributed to genes or the environment on a scale of 1 (genes) to 10 (environment)?
I probably fall somewhere around a 7. My curiosity about individual success is keenest when I learn about the "against all odds" types of stories. What should now occur to me is the need to purge from my lexicon that whole expression "against all odds," with its insidious and limiting connotation.
Watching the Olympics has me thinking about the mindset of these incredible athletes. I would venture to say that the vast majority of these individuals live their lives with a growth-mindset. If through all their many years of training, they gave up when they experienced a "failure" they would not be where they are today. They all probably believed that the difficulties meant they just needed to apply more effort., rather than thinking it was the end for them. I am just about to start Chapter 4 - Sports- the Mindset of a Champion....perfect timing....
Intelligence is a combination of genes and environment. Without the proper environment even a person that is has superior intelligence may not develop to his or her full potential. I most likely place around 5.
I have to agree with Freida. Intelligence comes from both influences. However, I think that genes play a major factor. I think that some people who are raised in poor environments resilient and are able to overcome bad enviroments due to inborn traits for survival. I would place myself at a 4.
Is intelligence something we have to "work" at? I love, love the Calvin and Hobbs comic strip on page 40. Does her effort at learning mean she is or is not intelligent/smart?
So, I have been thinking a lot about where I fall about my belief regarding intelligience being attributed to genes or to the environment. Of course, I believe that genetics play an integral role in brain developement. However, without the proper environment, how could one ever know their full potential? To that end, how do we define individual potentials (as we state in our mission statement)? Don't we constantly compare our potentials to that of others? For example, "I will never be Einstein". Yet, when we delve deeper, Einstein had learning dfficulties (dyslexia) and most likely wouldn't have reached his potential without his environment. Maybe my potential is different from Einstein (which I think is highly likely!). My burning question is: How do I begin to realize what my potential is? Ok, enough Existentialism for now....needless to say I am enjoying the reading!!! I would fall around 8.5.
I also got to thinking about our Mission Statement - guiding our students in realizing their individual potentials...Dweck offers the definition of someone's "potential" as the "capacity to DEVELOP their skills with effort over time. And as she says...How will we know where effort and time will take someone... Especially our students!
I probably fall somewhere around a 7. My curiosity about individual success is keenest when I learn about the "against all odds" types of stories. What should now occur to me is the need to purge from my lexicon that whole expression "against all odds," with its insidious and limiting connotation.
ReplyDeleteWatching the Olympics has me thinking about the mindset of these incredible athletes. I would venture to say that the vast majority of these individuals live their lives with a growth-mindset. If through all their many years of training, they gave up when they experienced a "failure" they would not be where they are today. They all probably believed that the difficulties meant they just needed to apply more effort., rather than thinking it was the end for them. I am just about to start Chapter 4 - Sports- the Mindset of a Champion....perfect timing....
DeleteIntelligence is a combination of genes and environment. Without the proper environment even a person that is has superior intelligence may not develop to his or her full potential. I most likely place around 5.
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with Freida. Intelligence comes from both influences. However, I think that genes play a major factor. I think that some people who are raised in poor environments resilient and are able to overcome bad enviroments due to inborn traits for survival. I would place myself at a 4.
ReplyDeleteIs intelligence something we have to "work" at? I love, love the Calvin and Hobbs comic strip on page 40. Does her effort at learning mean she is or is not intelligent/smart?
Delete*are(before resilient)
ReplyDeleteSo, I have been thinking a lot about where I fall about my belief regarding intelligience being attributed to genes or to the environment. Of course, I believe that genetics play an integral role in brain developement. However, without the proper environment, how could one ever know their full potential? To that end, how do we define individual potentials (as we state in our mission statement)? Don't we constantly compare our potentials to that of others? For example, "I will never be Einstein". Yet, when we delve deeper, Einstein had learning dfficulties (dyslexia) and most likely wouldn't have reached his potential without his environment. Maybe my potential is different from Einstein (which I think is highly likely!). My burning question is: How do I begin to realize what my potential is?
ReplyDeleteOk, enough Existentialism for now....needless to say I am enjoying the reading!!! I would fall around 8.5.
I also got to thinking about our Mission Statement - guiding our students in realizing their individual potentials...Dweck offers the definition of someone's "potential" as the "capacity to DEVELOP their skills with effort over time. And as she says...How will we know where effort and time will take someone... Especially our students!
ReplyDelete